A shivling is the representation of the divine union of the male and the female energy that leads to the creation of the world. The unique iconography of shivalinga fuses these two principles.
Classification of shivlinga
The lingas are classified into six varieties depending on how they came into existence
1. Daiva lingas are those installed and worshipped by the gods and other celestial beings and thus named after them they continue to exist in the preent day and on earth but their origin is traditionally ascribed to the gods.
2. Asura lingas are those installed by the class of the titans known as asuras and daityas but were pious and jealous devotees of shiva like ravana .
3. Arsha lingas were installed and worshipped by sages of yore like agastya .
4. Purana lingas are those which have been celebrated as installed at the very distinct past by mythical personages .
5. Manusha lingas are those that have been caused to be made by human patrons ( rulers , pious, saints etc ) in hiostorical times .
6. Svayambhu lingas are the forms which shiva assumed to manifest himself . The jyotirlingas and bana lingas belong to this variety .
There is also reckoning oftheir relative merits . The lingas of the divya , purana and svayambhu varities are considered best ( uttama ) , the lingas of the asura and arsha varities are of middling quality ( madhyama ) and the lingas of the manusha variety inferior ( adhama ) .
Another classification is based on how it is made
1. Krutima ( artificial , made by hands ) .
2. Akrutima ( natural bought about bu a natural course of events ) The banalingas belong to the latter group .
3. A further classification has the structural status in focus chala ( mobile ) or jangama and 2 achala ( stationery ) or sthavara .
In the ancient scripture shiv purana the shivalingam is said to be an extension of lord shiva . Shiva is another form of mahesh the third god of hindu triad All people aspire to have a married life like that of shiva and parvati therefore the great emphasis on making offerings to them. The shivalingams are carved in stone’s, precious stones , precious metals etc .
Mercury is known as parad or para in hindi .It is also known as shivdhatu literally shiva’s metal . Religious writers have equated a shivaling made of mercury with shiva .It is said to possess divine qualities. Whenever a deity is made ceremoniously with a combination of mercury it is said to be very effective. It is believed that whoever offers prayers to the mercury shivling will be blessed and considered as having offered prayers to the mercury shivling will be blessed and considered as having offered prayers to all shivlings in the universe.
These blessings are equivalent to those from hundreds of ashwamedh yagyas . Giving gold in charity also does not qualify one for as many blessings. In homes where prayers are offered regularly to mercury shivling all kinds of comforts are available. Success reigns there as shiva resides in these homes . In such places vaastu shortcomings will be overlooked. Offering prayers every monday to shivaling can also ward off tantrik spells . In shiv mahapuran shiv has said whatever blessings are showered upon you on making offerings to million of different shilings these can be multiplied manifold when you personally offer prayers to the mercury shivling . By a mere touch of the mercury shivling one can achieve salvation.
Shiv purana on keeping mercury/ parad shivling at home and worshipping it
1. Saturn’s I’ll effects are reduced .
2. Rahu the cruel planet gets pacified .
3. Kalsarp yog in horoscope gets eradicated .
4. Physical & mental problems are removed by worshipping .
5. Financial prosperity follows wherever the shivalingam is established.
6. Chant om namaha shivaye for overall prosperity.
7. Chant the maha mritunjaya mantra for removing all health problems this is a very powerful mantra for good health .